Russian Food for Life Foundation have developed a customised camper van for emergency food relief, called “Auto-kitchens.”
Click for larger image
The principle sponsor of the project was Major Cargo Services
, represented by President Alexei Ponomarev and Denis Chepurov of of Studio Artpremium
for designing the vans.
Food for Life Global affiliates have been involved in some of the world’s biggest disaster relief efforts
, including Grozny
wars and tsunami relief in Sri Lanka
. This new project is a step forward in to creating an efficient and effective response to all future natural disasters in Russia.
The vans have passed all stages of certification and are ready for action. When the vans are not used for emergencies they will be used for catering to help raise funds for local Food for Life projects and emergency relief efforts. The FFL team will also cater at cultural and sports events to give the general public a taste of the food they serve during emergencies and promote a healthy lifestyle.
FFL “Auto-Kitchen” Specifications
- Cooking capacity: 5000 people a day
- Time to prepare each meal: 8-10 seconds
- “Auto-kitchen” is always is “combat-ready”
- Stock capacity: Can hold enough water, gas and electricity for three days to provide hot meals to 13,000 people.
- Emergency relief team of 17 volunteers are on call to arrive at disaster zone to use the “auto-kitchen.”
- Team: 3 chefs, 2 food distributors, 4 drivers, 8 general volunteers.
- Engine is based on the car Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 315
- 6 port gas stove at 24 kW (Italy)
- Baking oven
- Refrigerator 240 Lgas (Sweden)
- Stainless steel sink
- Stainless steel tables (3 pieces )
- Vegetable cutter and donut machine
- Water tanks and sanitation for 100 liters
- 5 kW generator (Japan )
- Ventilation and air purification system
- Sofa seating for 5 man crew
After testing and careful analysis the team plans to create a full-fledged emergency relief project across Russia to deliver hot meals wherever needed.
Food for Life Global is confident that the project can become a good example of how to effectively and efficiently feed people in times of emergency.
The “Auto-kitchen” is able to provide hot meals for both victims and emergency relief volunteers during natural or man-made disasters.
The Food for Life Foundation also added a Ford F150 pickup car with a Palomino Maveric model M-800 attached to house the emergency relief volunteers. The Campers Maverick car offers ease of installation and transportation and comes with shower, toilet, air conditioning, water heater, blankets and mattresses, carbon dioxide sensor, refrigerator, and gas tank .
The benefits of “Auto-kitchen” + camper lies in the fact that the “Auto-kitchen” provides the opportunity to prepare and distribute healthy food locally while the Autocamper allows the delivery and distribution of hot meals in remote places, as well as food and transportation equipment.
In addition, the vans and cars can also pull trailers filled with essential cooking and emergency equipment.
The FFL “Auto-kitchen” team is made of volunteers with decades of experience in emergency food relief and firsthand knowledge of the difficulties faced by volunteers in the areas of emergency.